Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Hey, Old Friends

That's a song from Sondheim's Merrily We Roll Along, a musical I love.

Hey old friend
Are you okay, old friend?
What do you say, old friend?
Are we or are we unique?
Time goes by, everything else keeps changing
You and I we get continued next week.

Most friends fade
Or they don't make the grade
New ones are quickly made
And in a pinch, sure they'll do
But us, old friend, what's to discuss old friend
Here's to us
Who's like us?
Damn few…

Last night I dreamt about my old friends from college, but in particular one group.  We were all friends and a bit on the fringes.  Actually, I hung with them, but also felt a bit on the fringe from them as well.  My friends Julie, Eric and Jessica.  They were like the merry band all together.  I bounced around a lot. But they were thick as thieves.  And Eric was one of my best friends.  I adored him.

So last night, we were all together for some occasion.  Like in the dream I documented on the blog a few weeks ago, we are all adults.  And we were reunited.  A funny moment in the dream was when I waved to my friend Jessica, and then from behind her, my ex roommate Peter, who considered me an arch nemesis throughout college, thought I was waving at him and waved back.

If I can remember back from the dream I had before, the adult versions of ourselves interacting with each other means that there is integration from the person I was in college and who I am today.  The dream reminded me that I'm on the right path and that the person I need to be today is here.  I have come back to the person I was in college.

Thanks, old friends for showing up for me.

I am grateful for these dreams that reveal truths to me.
I am grateful for old friends, people who have known me.
I am grateful for the adventures that this next stage in my life will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment