Sunday, May 1, 2011

In the OC: Playwrights and Me

This weekend was the 14th Annual Pacific Playwrights Festival held at South Coast Rep. I have been going every year for the past five or six years. I went with my old boss. It was usually this weekend where I let go. I was able to speak my mind and be the smart theatre professional I have always been, but had suppressed. This was also one of the weekends where I could be the me I always suppressed. That usually meant making out with strange boys.

This year I had nothing to hide behind. Nothing I was escaping. I was out of both of those relationships. What could possibly be exciting now? :)

It started when I had arranged for my tickets a couple of weeks ago and my friend Kimberly, who's the festival coordinator, asked if I wanted my badge to say "Playwright." A small thing, but a big thing. Yes, I wanted people to see my name and the word PLAYWRIGHT next to it. It was symbolic that I had taken that part of myself back in the past six months.

So whenever anyone walked up to me, they just treated me like a normal playwright and asked what I was working on. Or my friends and colleagues who knew me in my other capacity expressed their great joy that I was just a playwright again. I wasn't serving anyone else's agenda, there on anyone else's dollar, or representing anyone else but myself. That simple gesture felt remarkable for me as well.

And something amazing happened. I didn't evaporate because I wasn't representing someone else. I could stand in front and nakedly myself without any repercussions. Holy shit! What had I been waiting for?

My friend Elaine said that she felt like she was seeing the real me for the first time. It almost brought her to tears. I have to admit, that I was almost brought to tears as well.

This was the year that I reminded myself and the world that I am a playwright. I was a finalist this year for the O'Neill Playwrights Conference with a play that I had written years ago but never submitted. And this year, I caught up with my friend Casey, who has been chatting with me about the new play I'm currently writing. And she's been making it a part of her agenda to get a workshop for this new play together - at one of two theatres in LA. I didn't have to beg, borrow and steal. She was moved by my words and by me as a person enough to make time to make this workshop happen.

It's a play I'm so excited about. A triptych - as my friend Krista reminded me of at brunch today. That sounds so smart and artsy. But guess what? I am smart and artsy.

I had a great day today. Just being myself. The artist. And not wincing or falling away from that or shying away. Just being the artist. In the middle of beautiful sunny California.

No comments:

Post a Comment