Wednesday, November 21, 2012

50 Gratitudes in One Day

I have a bunch of friends who have been doing 50 Days of Gratitude.  I like to challenge myself.  I'm going to do a speed round of 50 Gratitudes in One Day.  Is gratitudes a word?  No matter.

In no particular order.

50. A new single by Solange Knowles.  I'm listening to "Lovers in the Parking Lot" from her new EP Pure.  Listening to it off the NPR website.
49. Days where I can just lay around and let my mind wander.  I've had two of those this month.
48. Tony Asaro.  We're finally working on a project together.  More info to come.
47. Workouts.  I'm working out three days a week consistently and it's starting to pay off.
46. Tea.  I love tea.  All sorts of tea.  It soothes me.  Right now I'm kicking it old school with Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea.  Been drinking it since I was a wee lad.
45. My boyfriend's blue eyes.  Been looking into them for sixteen and a half months and counting.
44. My MacBook.  I inherited it from my sister in law at a time when I really needed it.
43. Taquitos, Enchiladas, Posole and Tamales: the Mexican food I learned to make from my Mexican grandmother and my Chinese father.
42. Pepe's No. 2: While we're on the subject.  My faves are the chorizo and papas burrito, the green chile pork burrito with rice, nachos, tostadas and the carne asada soft tacos.
41. Day trips.  The boyfriend has reintroduced them to me.  My Dad used to take us on little day road trips all the time when we were young.
40. My students at Santa Clara University.  I haven't taught there in a year, but I spent the better part of the past 12 months being inspired by them as I taught and directed them.
39. Veronica Gonzalez.  She's not on Facebook, so she won't see this.  But I love the dinners she cooks with her fiance (and my college floor mate) James.  And I love it when we drink...
38. Manhattans.  Oh dear Jesus.
37. Thanksgiving.  It's here again.  I love it.
36. My therapist.  He's helping.
35. DVR. Right now we've got episodes of The New Normal, Nashville, Anthony Bourdain (both The Layover and No Reservations), The Latino List I and II, Glee, The Voice and Game Change.
34. Pretzel Time.  Jeff knows what I mean.
33. Rogue Machine Theatre.  I'm getting to know them very well.
32. Productivity.  I wrote a new play this year.  I wrote a spec episode of Glee for submissions.  I have a pilot that I'm rewriting.  A pilot I wrote a shitty first draft of.  A one act musical I wrote and saw produced this past summer.  My blog I'm maintaining.  Two pilots that I am currently outlining.  Not bragging, just happy to be busy.
31. Life.  My Dad died this year.  So I'm grateful to still be here.
30.  My boyfriend's stamina.
29. Regular meetings with Larry Pontius.  We get to talk about what we're working on.  It makes me accountable and it's the whole reason for item 32.
28. A shaved head.  Less time getting ready in the morning.  Has made me look both more mature and younger at the same time.  Love THAT trick.
27. Crazy nights out in West Hollywood.  I can appreciate them now that they are no longer routine and now that they only happen once in a blue moon.
26. Time.  However I spend it.
25. Tour.  The boyfriend has been going out on tour for the past three months in a row.  It's sad for him to be gone, but it's great time for us to realize how much we value each other.
24. Sleep.  I love it.
23. Twenty minutes of quiet time a day.  I don't get it every day or often enough, but I'm grateful when I get it.
22. NPR and MSNBC.  Because I'm that guy and proud of it.
21. Our president.  And the fact that he's been re-elected.
20. Family.  My bro and my Mom and my niece and nephew and sister in law.
19. Madonna.
18. The last three months of my Dad's life when I was at my parents' home caretaking.  I learned more about myself in those three months.
17. The Playwrights Union and the folks I've met there.  They're giving me a community out here in LA that I'm happy to be a part of.
16. Jerry, Carolyn, Jeff and Kristin: my colleagues from SCU who keep me inspired and want me to come back.  The fact that two of them were also my mentors when I was a student there makes me think it would be fun to go back.
15. Documentaries.  I love them.  I just watched the David Geffen American Masters documentary that was on PBS last night.
14. Theatre.  I want to do more of it.
13. My loud mouth.  It usually gets me into trouble, but this year it helped me protect someone I love and made me realize it can be used for good instead of evil.  :)
12. Friends.  Especially the ones who have lost a parent and made it easier because they understood in a way other people couldn't.
11. Cafe Gratitude.  Because I like a raw vegan meal every once in a while.
10. Korean Spas.  Because sometimes it's nice to relax and sometimes it's nice to relax with others.
9. Cleanses.  They have kept me free from getting colds for the past two years.
8. Running.  It clears my head.
7. Words.
6. Five and a half hour drives to and from the Bay Area.  No radio.  Just me and my thoughts.  So good.
5. In N Out burgers.
4. Music.  And musicians.  And one drummer in particular.
3. Pool time at Vic and Steve's during the summer.
2. Psyllium husk powder.  Keeps things moving.
1. The wisdom that comes with age.

No comments:

Post a Comment