Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Cleanse Continues: What I'm Actually Getting Rid Of

Or...More Letting Go.

The surface reason to do a cleanse is to get thinner: to get rid of weight.  I'm all for being a bit thinner and having my clothes look better on.  It's a purely aesthetic thing.  I like clean lines and I don't like it when anyone--especially myself--wears something tight and the rolls are moving.  I have a friend whose husband wears shirts that are way too tight for him and it looks wrong.  He's not heavy, but the look seems off.  But for myself, I like to look slender and toned.  My arms look good.  My legs look great.  I even have a descent chest.  But none of that can be showcased when I have too much around the middle.

Going a little deeper...I also want to get rid of waste.  Fat is waste.  It's unnecessary.  And it eventually grows and leads to other health issues.  So even though I look good with clothes on, there's a lot going on underneath that just seems necessary.  But I also like being on my cleanse, drinking my detox tea and taking my colon cleanse, and watching the waste exit my body like it should.  When I'm not using colon cleanse or I'm not cleansing, I take great effort to go to the bathroom.  It's great to go to the bathroom and know that nothing is getting stuck inside of me.  It helps my intestines and my immune system work better.  So I'm getting rid of as much waste as possible.

And to go even deeper...there's a lot of "waste", a lot of "empty calories" that I don't need to hold onto in my life.  Those are toxins that need to come out as well.

What's wasteful in my life?  Good question.

Here are a few things I"m working on:
cigarettes - I only have a few every once in a while, but it's not helpful or productive
sugar - or things that turn into sugar.  I don't have a sweet tooth.  I might not need sugar.
judgment - I do it to myself.  I do it to others.  Let it go.
jealousy - If things aren't where I want them to be, I need to fix it.  Also, my path looks different from someone else's path.  Just as I look different from other people.  Stop comparing.
too many commitments - I can thin things out in my life.  There are things I love and enjoy.  I should just do those things.  I'm old enough to know what I like and what I don't.  I don't have to compromise as much in this area.

And what do I over indulge in?
drinking - it's fun.  but I also like being sober every once in a while.
cheese/dairy - I love the high end stuff.  The other stuff, I can do without.  It doesn't have to be an every day thing.  Although, I do have a weakness for ice cream.  But I also LOVE sorbet.
food - I am an emotional eater. I eat when I'm bored.  And because I look all right and I can move around, I don't think anything of just shoveling food in my mouth.
TV - it's true.  I don't like to admit it.  I love it.  But there could be less of it.  OW!  That hurts.
Computer time - ditto.
pressure/competition - I think there's something good about putting pressure on myself and holding myself accountable.  But the expectations are insurmountable and make things feel impossible, that's not good.  But there's nothing wrong with a catalyst for change and growth.
noise - that can include some of the things above.  But I also need to focus on stillness and being quiet.  Finding more times and places to just be quiet.  I try not to listen to the radio in my car all of the time.  I appreciate the silence.

Cleansing makes me think about what I put in to my body and bring into my life.  I think that's positive.  And the act of cleansing is a reminder to be conscious.  So I'm going to focus on that for the next two weeks and see where that brings me.

No comments:

Post a Comment