Friday, March 23, 2012

Mini Solo Writers ReTREATS

This week has been a good productive week for the writing. The boyfriend was in Palm Springs for a few days for his own get away. So I used that time to really get the writing time in. I'm 40 pages into the new script.

I had a routine for myself. Since dating The Drummer, I haven't really been getting up early to work. And I'm a morning person. I am the most productive in the morning. Then I hit a lull in the afternoon. And I rev back up in the evening.

Even when I was teaching, I would be up by 7:30 or 8 (which is late for me if I don't have a regular schedule). So every morning he was gone, I woke up around 9. Got my emailing done. Got as much writing done as I could. Then I would go work out. Then I would do some more work. By that time, it's the early afternoon. I would have lunch and then maybe nap or run errands or wind down somehow. By the time the evening came around, I was ready to work again.

I'm leaving to Portland on Monday for a week. Some of that time was set up as a mini retreat for myself. I am coming to down for the 30th Anniversary Party of my old ad agency. But I also want to meet my nephew who was born in January. So I'm taking advantage of my brother not being in town for the first three days of my trip to get my own work done. I plan to finish the next draft of my play by this weekend. Then have Sunday off to relax and hang with the boyfriend. Then when I get to Portland, I'll be in full writer mode again and get as much done in those first three days as possible.

It will be a full change of pace, so I can work from their home for a bit. Then go to the gym in the NW section of town. Then I can cook and eat and write all day long. Most of my friends who live in town will be out of town with their kids for Spring Break during those first three days. And my friends who are coming in for the party, won't be coming in until later that week. So those first three days can be time to hibernate.

Then the bro and his family come back on Wednesday. Then I will get work done as I'm able to. And the rest of the trip will be more social. Our big company party is on the first of April and I'll need that next day to fully recover.

I'm looking for little mini cheap getaways for myself to get away and get work done. I'm more productive when I have fewer distractions. It's all a part of me making my own schedule and dedicating my time fully to my work. It's all a part of the vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment