Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Writing Buddies

It's important to have company when you do something as lonely as writing. I'm a member of The Playwrights Union, a group of like minded playwrights living in LA trying to make a go of it in all mediums. When we had our annual playwriting challenge and reading this weekend, I felt kind of taken care of.

I had coffee with my friend Larry today and we just got outside into a beautiful LA day and talked about stuff. It felt so good to just have the same language as someone else who is a playwright and thinks creatively, but also has the desire to make a living as a writer in Hollywood.

It made me think of my other writing buddies. My friend Elyzabeth, who lives in Alabama with her daughter. She's producing her own work and getting people to come see her cook and do theatre at the same time. I think about my friend Susan who I went to NYU with and who has always been a cohort of mine. Then I think of my friend Kevin who is also trying to forge a consistent TV writing career out here. He's been staffed before.

The work of the Playwrights Union made me long for my days running NYU Writers Lab West, with my good friends Susan, Aurorae, Gina and Avery. We had a great run of two years producing cool material. And it makes me want to produce more work by myself and my other friends out here. I'm good at that.

But I have to remember something The Drummer told me recently. He said that his goal as a drummer was to just focus on being good. And as much as I like to plan and orchestrate, I think that's a great plan.

Just be good.

Everything else will figure itself out as people react to how good you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment