Thursday, March 22, 2012

Write or Left

It's funny that I've resisted writing any sort of blog about writing that would be considered any sort of advice source.

I taught in the Fall and loved it.

I worked for a manager for years and know a lot of shit.

I have my MFA from NYU in DRAMATIC WRITING.

And I give advice to people all of the time. I just wrote an email to a friend of mine about how as playwrights we turn that creative/passionate part ourselves off when it comes to writing for TV. Now he wants me to turn it into a blog post so he can put it on his blog, as a guest blog sort of thing.

Then I got a lead on a gig working to help a woman grow her business that caters to writers as a sort of creative workshop thing. I have a lot of skills in that direction for sure. But the question I have for myself right now is if I want to be working for someone else in that capacity. I just got off the phone with her and the phrase "right hand" was used.

My relationship to that term is sorted. I worked for a manager for many years as his "right hand" and got no credit. Then I worked for two married EPs on a pilot and that experience was great. But I was working on their vision (which is a necessary evil in the TV business and also a great way to learn).

Now here's a woman who could definitely benefit from my skill set. I just don't know if I'm going to benefit from hers.

But here's the difference. I now know my value. So I had a quick phone call with her to discuss what she needs. . I don't think she knows what she needs, which is fine since she is looking for a "right hand." Part of it feels like I would be giving away my skill set for virtually free.

Here's my definition of FREE:

Anything where someone else is benefiting from my skill set/expertise/hard work more than I am.

So I'm understandably skeptical. She seems like a nice woman with a vision. But I still have to do more investigation before I commit to anything. It seems like a lot of ideas and plans without much money or organization. . And her answer to that I'm assuming would be, "that's where you come in."

I'm just not sure I want to jump into that pool.

But I will write the blog entry. That seems interesting, helpful and doable to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment