Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Rewrite Year

Remember when I said that I felt like I manifested this teaching opportunity.  Well, I went back and refined the syllabi that I had created.  I now have six syllabi that detail exactly what I would teach next year from soup to nuts.  And now I'm done.

I have to surrender it.  I have done everything I can.

I have this play rewrite I'm working on.  I have it all worked out.  Outlined.  I have been struggling with it for the past month.  Which is why it has been easier to write these syllabi and think about lesson plans.  But I have to let that go.

I have to write.  I have taken enough time away from it.  I finished my rewrite of the pilot three weeks ago.

I wrote the first 30 or so pages of the play rewrite.  I should be proud of that.  But, of course, I think I'm  moving too slow.  I always think that I'm moving too slow.  I wrote a really good polished pilot this year so far.  I have a great play that I'm tearing apart and reworking.  I have another great play that I want to rewrite for a reading this summer.

But I've been writing syllabi.  However, even that is writing.  Coming up with a concept for a class that I want to teach.

So it's not like I'm not doing anything.  I'm doing a ton.  But it would be nice to have this play done by the end of the month, so I can work on the next one.

I'm rewriting everything this year.  This is the rewrite year.

Last year, I wrote a new play and three new pilots.  You could say four because the idea for one of them was a totally different pilot and concept last year.  So I kind of have two different versions of the same idea.  Two of those pilots never made it past the first draft.  Both I want to take another shot at this year.

I might not even start anything new this year.  I have a lot of rewriting to do.  That's fine because I want polished work.

I have no new plays I really want to write.  I have a musical I'm supposed to write with a friend.  And I have a few half ideas.  But I do have two screenplays I want to write.  Two ideas that I think are really good.  But other than that, I have nothing in the play department.

It's the rewrite year.  I'm rewriting myself this year.  If this teaching job happens, it will be a major rewrite of my life.  Big time.

Last year I was writing new stuff because I was trying to outrun my pain.  My Dad was dying and I needed distractions.  I wrote wildly and prolifically.  Now I'm taking those things I wrote and refining them.  They are taking better shape.

My life is taking better shape.  I'm going back to something that I was working on before and reworking it.  It's all a metaphor for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment