Friday, July 27, 2012

The Best Message I Recieved About My Father's Death

My best friend Alanna called me on Monday after my Dad died and said that I was about to get some great messages from friends.  And the best voicemail I received was on Monday night from an ex-boyfriend of hers named Greg.  He was acting full time when they met and now has gone on to work in music in New Orleans.  I've tried to transcribe as much as I can, but here are some highlights.

Eric,

This is Greg ____.  Hi.  I just got a message from Alanna about your father and I've lost my father a while back, as you probably remember.  It hits me so hard that don't care that we haven't talked in 8 years.

I did not know your father, but I know you--I knew you--I feel like I still know you.  But he must have had incredible qualities because you can just see it when you see such a spectacular person.

If you ever want to catch up or talk, or need a friend.

I have a feeling I'll be seeing you sometime in the future, buddy.  I am sending my love.  I am sending my condolences to you and your family.  I'm thinking about you and I've BEEN thinking of you, which is a bit strange.  I look forward to speaking with you under better circumstances. And I just hope you are well and with the right people and taking it in stride.  You have a great friend in Alanna, no question about it.  I love you.

It was so touching to get a message from a person I haven't talked to in a long time.  That's just one example of so many that keep coming in.  These are the times when you are filled with love.

I got a call today from my friend Julia, who had lost her father two years ago.  I got a call from my friend Gina today.  These are people who have known me for a while and who have seen me evolve and know the kind of person I am.  It means a lot for people to reach out because it is so hard when you don't know exactly what to say.  It touches me that these people have spoken from their heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment