Sunday, August 5, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

I'm a theatre boy, through and through.  I'm housesitting for my friends in Santa Monica and I've been using their place as a bit of a writer's retreat.  So far I have 20 pages of a new pilot done that I'm supposed to have finished by Tuesday.  I think that can happen.

Well, I decided that I was going to see this play last night that I had been hearing about.  I also knew that a bunch of theatre folks I need to be in touch with were going to be there as well.  So at 6 PM I decided that I'd better go.  But then I also figured I should get some work done.  Then I wasn't feeling it.  I was tired.  I was trying to save money.  I made a bunch of excuses why I shouldn't go.  Then I started writing the pages that had been eluding me all day.  This is a sign, I thought.  Then around 7:15 I figured I wasn't going to go because I had been on a roll.  At around 7:28, with no juice left and five pages written in the past 45 minutes, I decided that I might as well head out the door and get distracted.  It wasn't far away and if there weren't tickets left, I would just go back to Santa Monica.

I show up at the Box Office at 7:45 and order a ticket.  Then I look behind me and see my high school buddy, Jeff, who I last saw at our reunion.  Kismet!  So we decide to sit together.  And then I walk into the lobby and see a bunch of theatre pals, some of whom I knew I'd see and others who were a surprise.  And some new faces as well.  It felt like community, which I love.

The show was good.  It was a lot of fun and good energy.  But the best part was just catching up with old pals.  Jeff and I made plans to see a play the following week.  My friend Kelly and I made plans to grab lunch when I'm in her neck of the woods.  She also invited me to a workshop they're doing at her theatre.  All in all good stuff.  And five pages, which became six when I got home is good for a whole day's work.  I got that done, in total, in about 90 minutes. 

Plus, all of that socializing left me motivated for today.  So I'm happy about that as well.  Let's see what happens today.

No comments:

Post a Comment