Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Gypsy's Life For Me

Dancers call themselves gypsies because they're traveling all over the place constantly.  They're nomadic.  

I always wanted to be a dancer and got to study dance in college.  So there's something about that gypsy spirit that has always appealed to me.  I am a free spirit honestly.

Most of my professional life I have been tied to a desk.  It seemed like the proper thing to do after all of the schooling I've had and the different cities I've lived in.  I've been back in LA for ten years now and I'm getting that itch.  

It has been great to be able to travel to Portland to visit my brother and his family a lot in the past two years and I'm excited about going back there in less than two weeks.  I traveled back and forth every week from Burbank to Santa Clara when I was teaching.  I've put myself on the guest lecturer circuit at a few schools.  I like the idea of not being in one place all of the time.  Part of that is because I am in a relationship with a gypsy.  

The Drummer is going to have a busy summer and fall gigging all over the country.  First the West Coast in July, the East Coast in September and the South in October.  He's a traveling musician.  It's a great life.  He has his life here teaching and gigging, but he also gets to see the country and play in a band that takes him all over the place.  

I like the idea of not being stuck in one place all of the time.  One office.  One city.  One job.

I'm embarking on an adventure of doing a bunch of different types of jobs.  I have some feelers out with a friend who's looking for freelance copywriters.  There's someone else I know who is looking for a ghost writer for her memoir.  Teaching could be in my future again, which I would love.  I am putting together a sketch show with my best friend.  And we're working on a new play together. And a movie and maybe a musical.  My other friend Tony and I are working on a musical together that's set in San Francisco and I should probably head up there at some point to do some work on it with him in person. There's also another play I should be rewriting to do a reading of this summer.  And there's a commission I might right a new play for.  I'm also sending out some plays for a few other opportunities.  There's always something going on.  And that could take me to a few different places, which I would welcome.  I don't feel stuck to LA.  I can always come back.

I want to be working on all of these projects.  And I want to be making some money as well.  All of that would be incredibly helpful for me.  But it could be a lot of fun.  I've been living that way for a while.

There's that old saying, "Start doing the job you want to be doing.  Don't wait for someone to hand it to you."  Something like that.  Good advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment