Monday, January 6, 2014

Systems: Losing Ten Pounds

I was 190 pounds at my heaviest last year.
The heaviest I had ever been.
My friends said they didn't notice.
They are either lying or my father was right when he said that I
could carry my weight better as an Oriental because
we had lighter bones.

I felt different.
It didn't matter what other people said.
I felt sluggish.
I could feel my stomach stretching.
I felt uncomfortable.

So I did a few things:
I tried to stop drinking my calories as much.
I tried to not eat as late and as heavy.
I exercised, but I always exercised.
Exercise wasn't making the difference
because
I love to eat!
So I had to adjust portions a bit,
but more importantly for me,
I had to
eat better.

So here's my goal with my weight in 2014:

Lose ten pounds to get my weight down to 165.

Yes, I could say that I want a six pack
or
I want to fit into smaller pants
or
that I want more guys to check me out
or
any list of things.
But if I set up some systems to lose this weight
I will reach more positive goals
than
if I just say I want to lose ten pounds.
It's limiting.

Setting up a system to accomplish this goal
and countless others
I haven't even thought of
is a much better plan.

So here's what I can do to accomplish that goal
(which I'm going to stop mentioning it so that I don't limit myself to just that goal):


  • More grains like quinoa and oats into my diet.
  • Legumes, more protein in general.
  • No late night eating.
  • No soda (we just got a soda stream, so I'm going to use that to make club soda and flavor it)
  • If I do have a little soda, use the soda stream because it's no high frutose corn syrup.
  • Vodka, no beer if I drink.
  • No preservatives.
  • More water.
  • Exercise five times a week.  That can be anything.  Running or weights.
  • Meditation every day (this includes running).
  • Sleep.  At least eight hours.  Earlier if I can too.
I am grateful that I can make these changes to improve my mental and physical health.
I am grateful that I can engage my brain in these activities to keep it active as well.
I am grateful that I am realizing this now to maximize the benefits of living this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment