Monday, November 15, 2010

Back from Where?

The brink? Maybe.

I was on a road trip with a friend this weekend. And in between the Liza Minnelli song cycle that we were experiencing, we started talking about blogs. I had one a little bit ago that I stopped updating. And I remember how nice it was to just get my thoughts down and to release things into the universe.

Then we started about all the things I was doing to make myself feel better. You see, I just ended a relationship after five years and a week. And although some part of me could feel great about writing a blog called, "THE JERK WHO GOT AWAY," that's really not productive. And not entirely accurate. I don't want to write a bitter rant about my ex. I just want to document what I'm doing to transition into this new phase of my life. Maybe looking at it in print will give me some perspective.

Another thing people keep talking to me about is how I lost myself when I was with my ex. Unbeknownst to me. I thought I was doing so well! But I do have a high opinion of myself. Hence, the blog.

So this is going to be a home for all of us who are going through a hard time. Ending one part of our lives to end up somewhere else. And while some of it is going to be pretty standard fare: new haircut, new apartment, new phone, dating again; some will be strange. I spent part of the weekend going up the California Coast, from Target to Target, looking for a black Barbie with a blond afro. The whole story will be detailed in a future post.

I don't know what this next phase in my life will bring. But I do know that my goal is to never forget myself. The journey will run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous. And there will be lots of co-stars. Some making high profile cameos. And some only day players. But it will be silly. And loud. And probably painful.

But mostly honest. And all that that entails.

Hope you're entertained and moved by it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment