Sunday, August 21, 2011

Abundance

That might be another way to say that I'm super uber busy.

In the span of less than a week, I went from busy to crazed. But I have to say, I am so happy about it.

I have this play I'm supposed to finish by next Wednesday for two different theatre opportunities. Then I've got these lesson plans to do. I just finished reworking the syllabus for my Playwriting Class. But the big thing to figure out is how to pace the course. There are these oral presentations that have nothing to do with writing, but more to do with script analysis that I want to cut out to make room for some in class table work. I didn't realize it would be as tricky to get all of the work in that I want to get done. I think I can push these kids a bit harder than they're being pushed. But I also want to make sure that I don't run myself into the ground either. I want to be able to give these kids as much of myself as I can. But I just finished working out the first week of class and that was tough. And the first week is probably the lightest week of all!

And before I head up to teach, I'm going to be in Portland with my brother and his family and immersed in theatre through PICA's TBA Festival. I'm going to be all theatred out! It'll be great though. I'm really looking forward to it.

And I've got my friend Susan's baby shower to plan and my grade school get together to put together.

I honestly would rather be crazy and busy than not. So I'm happy for all of this activity. But I just need to make sure I'm finding time for myself and my own work. I've got the O'Neill deadline coming up again and since I was a finalist this year, hopefully my material will be given extra consideration. But I also need to make sure that play rocks the house. This really is the opportunity of a lifetime, to teach these students at the school where I first started writing plays. It meant so much to me to have that sort of freedom to work and if I'm being immodest, I would say that it's the work that I did with my professor that laid the template for this surge of playwriting activity to happen there.

I can't even express what this opportunity means to me. It probably won't even hit me until I get there.

But until then, I've got another ten days before this play deadline...this week is busy seeing friends and doing some networking. And then I'm off back up to Huntington Lake for Labor Day with the Drummer. Then back for a day and a half and then to Portland for a week. That will just be some good chill time. I want to relax and enjoy just seeing theatre and hanging out with the bro and the niece before life gets crazy again and my Fall really begins.

Just drinking it all in. Enjoying it all. Enjoying the time with the Drummer and being grateful that so much is coming my way. There's more to come...the greater the effort I put into everything going on, the more things will continue to pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment