Sunday, June 12, 2011

Giving Birth

Yesterday, we had the first rehearsal for my new play, THE SNAKE CHARMER. We're doing a workshop this month that will culminate in a reading in two weeks.

Oy. That hurt. In a "hurt so good" way. But also in a "ouch, you're ripping my asshole" way.

But that's giving birth. My friend Dave made the recent remark that while heterosexuals are here to procreate, us gays also serve an important purpose. While we cannot biologically give birth to children, it is our duty and purpose to give birth to culture, to move our society forward. I like that this statement fills me with a sense of purpose. If this is my life's vocation, then so be it. I will do it proudly. And I will still have time and money to travel and live my life without having to figure out a feeding schedule or babysitters or what time little Johnny needs to be picked up from soccer practice.

Not that I'm against giving birth. I'm all for it. I'm here because of it. My niece Sela is here because of it. And she's the coolest advocate for a heterosexual lifestyle I've seen in a long time.

But as I was sitting in rehearsal at that first read through yesterday, I just kept my head down as I cringed at some of the language. As I cried at something I wrote. I figured I should keep my head down in case the group thought I was too impressed with something I wrote.

It's a great thing...this writing thing that I do. It's pretty awesome. It's nice to have a voice, to be able to say things publicly.

And now I go about the process of shaping this new child of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment