Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Reunions: Theatre

The Theatre Communications Group's annual Conference is being held in Los Angeles this year. It's a bit funny that LA is the location for over a thousand theatre professionals to gather and talk the state of the American Theatre. But I'm happy to have them here. This is the group I used to see once a year at the Humana Festival of New American Plays which is held at the Actors Theatre of Louisville. It was my annual trip to get away and geek out on theatre once a year.

This year I was a bit bummed that I didn't get to go, but really happy that I wasn't at my old job. That sadness quickly subsided when I realized that I now get to talk about theatre all of the time because I'm going to more shows and I'm workshopping a new play currently. All of this has happened since the break up. More room for the things I love.

But it'll be fun to see my peeps in my hometown and also to let them know what I'm up to theatre-wise. It's my coming out party! Okay, maybe it's a national gathering, but I choose to see it as my personal coming out party!

Theatre has played such a big part in my own search for identity, starting in high school and continuing through college where I wrote my first plays and grad school where I wrote more plays. Because I'm in LA I've largely ignored that impulse and have only averaged one play every two years. But I'm working on a brand new play now and last year I wrote three new full length plays. I've got an idea for another new play that I want to start as well. I've got this workshop that we started last week and more rehearsal this weekend. I'm at a Starbucks working on the rewrite for this new play that we're presenting as a reading at the end of the month.

I've never felt more like a playwright than I do right now. And it'll be great to see my theatre peeps and geek out yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment