Friday, January 27, 2012

Cleanse 2012: Premature Emancipation

So I probably shouldn't have had those drinks a couple of weeks ago. And I probably shouldn't have scheduled my cleanse during travel time. But my cleanse was officially over last Friday, although I did totally avoid fast food on my drive up to San Jose. But it was just too much fun to see friends, students, and colleagues...and I couldn't really limited myself to good times. I didn't go crazy, but I did have cocktails and I started eating meat and some dairy again.

But this brings me to another point, that Bethenny Frankel made about cleanses once. Just doing my psyllium husk and detox tea is a cleanse. Avoiding certain foods is a cleanse. Going to the gym and sweating toxins out and also going to the spa is a cleanse. You find ways to cleanse yourself every day. But what this partial cleanse motivated me to do is to find ways to cut or limit my intake of certain things so that I am not depriving myself, but so that I'm not overindulging either.

It's having that awareness of what you are and aren't eating. It's being aware of your behavior and not being mindless or thoughtless about it.

Right now I'm staying off the red meat. I'm reintroducing chicken into my diet. I'm not totally sold on overdoing the soy. I like beans and legumes as protein. And I really want to keep off the processed foods as much as possible. I think that is very important. I think if I can watch my drinking, which means I'm watching my cigarette smoking (still social) then I'm in a good place as well. Introduce as few as possible toxins into the body. I think that's a big one.

So I'm going to live a much more balanced life in terms of diet and exercise. I need to start my yoga again and I need to figure out exercises that really work for me. I want to lose weight and tone. That's very important to me.

So this cleanse did do something. It helped me focus on my lifestyle and not a brief respite from it.

Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment