Monday, January 24, 2011

Friendly Reminders

Leave it to my friend Susan to put things into perspective. Truth be told, I've been a little wistful about my ex lately. More like forgetful. The further you get from an event, the more you start forgetting the bad things.

I was talking to my friend Steve the other day and I mentioned that I missed having a buddy. And Steve, in his loving wisdom said:

"Do you miss having a buddy who's messed up in the head?"

He's blunt, that Steve. And no, I don't miss having THAT buddy. But I miss the fun things we used to do together. And right now I do have a buddy who I enjoy doing things with (more on the date in the OC later in this post or in the next one). Steve has Vic. Susan has Clayton. I know that I still need to be single and I definitely want to be, but it's hard not to get nostalgic when you watch couples who are in love. Vic and Steve have been together for almost ten years and they're so much in love.

So back to my friend Susan. We went for our weekly run and while we were relaxing back at her place with her husband, she had mentioned her sister who has issues similar to the issues my ex had. And I drew that connection when she mentioned her frustration. When it clicked that her sister was probably up to certain old tricks that I knew a lot about (I'm being deliberately vague here), something clicked in me. There was the stuff I had forgotten, right in my face through the story of Susan's sister. And Clayton had advised her to separate, at least for a while, from what is a toxic relationship. And then the other shoe dropped. I was back to three months ago. And then I didn't miss my ex-buddy so much.

I'm going to leave the explanation of the date to the next post. Because I don't want it to seem like I'm comparing the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment