Sunday, January 30, 2011

Thank You, Juliana Marguiles

I just saw Juliana Marguiles' husband on the SAG Awards. I need to aim higher.

But in the meantime, I have excellence that I need to pursue. I have scripts I need to turn in. Scripts I need to start. Hair I need to maintain. A body I need to capitalize on and keep strong. And a wit to continue to use.

New Haven asked me last night if it was important to keep my body in shape. I hesitated. But I don't hesitate now. Yeah, it's fucking important. It's important to keep my discipline up in all areas. It's important to have tons of energy. It's important to live another 70 years so my life can truly have three or four acts. It's important for people to want to come up to me because they like the way I look, then it's important to hook them in with what I have upstairs and surprise them with what I have working downstairs. And to keep surprising them. Stamina is important. And it's important to be completely conscious of what goes into my body, not only for health's sake, but because when I eat a hot fudge sundae, I want to enjoy every chocolatey bite. And I want to know that I earned it.

It's a whole other world here in LA. I was just talking to my friend Susan this morning. And even as writers, we have to keep it together. Our bodies exude confidence and it's only a first impression. It does not shrink the size of our brains or make us superficial. I want to walk into a room and own it. But before I can own it by commanding the room, I need to look the part. Oddly enough, that's a lesson that I learned from my ex. Of course, the buck doesn't stop there. But a lasting first impression is a good thing. It's my job to look good, to speak well, to be funny and to get it right on the page.

And if I'm a good person, that married with my dedication to reading, writing and working out, hopefully I'll land a hottie that has the same dedication to reading writing and working out.

So thank you, Juliana Marguiles for letting me know that it indeed can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment