Friday, March 4, 2011

The Perfect Friday Night Date

I run during my lunch hour to go get tickets to Belle du Jour at LACMA>. They're doing a little Catherine Deneurve - the early films - retrospective. Repulsion is playing right afterwards in a double bill. Since I'm a member, I get to see both for just $7. That's a huge bargain.

We meet up out front of the Bing Theatre. I've got Junior Mints stashed in my pocket. He's got some peanut M&Ms or maybe even some chips. Sodas we buy at the cafe and take inside. We notice that we must be the youngest guys in here by about ten or so years. It's nice to be in a full theatre seeing an old french film with some people who might have actually seen it in its original run at a movie theatre. I grab his hand.

We watch the movie together silently. And we laugh at places.

When the movie's over we walk up Wilshire to "Urban Light", the light sculpture. Ray's, the new outdoor cafe, has just opened. So we decide to grab a drink before we go home. We talk about the day. I tell him about "Troubadours" the PBS American Masters series that I just saw online about the singer-songwriter movement in the 1970s. I'm hoping to get back to this play I'm writing about a band writing an album together. So it was incredibly inspirational. He tells me about a co-worker whose nuts he wants to rip off. As usual. We both decide to not talk about work for the rest of the evening.

As we walk back to our cars through "Urban Light" we kiss. There are a few people taking pictures inside the sculpture. And a few couples kissing. It feels like the middle of summer, even though it's only March. Tonight was too leisurely for it to be the end of winter.

That would have been a nice night out. As it was, I was alone. That was okay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment