Friday, July 22, 2011

Hey, Old Friend

Yesterday, I went to go see an old grade school classmate of mine at a smoke shop she just opened with her fiance. It's amazing when you see people who knew you when you were awkward and young. My friend Kathleen has been through a lot in her life, but she's a warrior. She has a wonderful heart and approaches life with such a sense of humor and a hard won wisdom. She's the epitome of a graduate from the school of hard knocks. It's also amazing because she's got an 18 year old son who's smart, articulate and going after his own dreams. He's got a very unconventional mother, but a mother who so obviously loves and supports him.

And talking to him reminded me of myself at that age. He wanted to know about my time in New York and about where I travelled. I saw a young man who comes from a great foundation and who is ready to spread his wings. I'm a big believer that the more of yourself that you give to young people, the more information you give them, the higher they will soar despite their circumstances. Despite where they came from. Every child will benefit from knowledge.

I was inspired seeing her again. It just reminded me of my roots. I had a guy I dated years ago tell me that I was lying when I said I had come from a working class background. "But you're so articulate," he said. I was offended because the assumption was that because I was a smart, sophisticated guy that I had to have come from money. That's not the case. And I had the polar opposite experience of that with the ex because he met my family and had so many assumptions about the way I grew up. And he considered me unsophisticated because I kept it real. Just because I don't use five dollar words when I can use 25 cent ones. I don't impress with my knowledge when I can touch people with my heart. But I had a lot more elegance than he did in certain situations. I have always said that I would want to be at home walking through East LA or Boyle Heights as much as I feel at home at dinner in Beverly Hills or walking down Fifth Avenue in New York. All places I've been comfortable in, by the way. Ultimately, as I told Kathleen yesterday, we're just kids from Downey. There is no pretense. She remarked that seeing me again was like seeing family, seeing blood. And I agree. It's seeing someone who knew you when you were getting to know yourself.

It was nice. It was especially great to see that she's learned from her hard life and she's doing better for her self, her family and her son. I told her that she was setting an excellent example for her son. She's the finest example of a mother that I've seen in a long time. I really admire that. We can't accomplish anything without a strong foundation and a support system.

No comments:

Post a Comment