Sunday, July 24, 2011

Routine Changes are Routine

Back when I broke up with the Ex, my friend Susan said to me, "You know that now you're going to leave your job." And I laughed because I thought...what other changes could I possibly handle. Then I got my new job working on the pilot. And now that has ended. What I'm now looking at is even more change and upheaval in my life, which I have to say, I am welcoming with open arms. I'm really excited about all of this freedom. Because I had been stuck in a routine for so long and now I am so shaken free.

Life has no choice but to change for the better. I used to change now, so now I just think, "What do you have for me?" What new things do I get to do and experience? What side roads do I get to take?

Even my sleep patterns are changing. I have always been an early bird. But because The Drummer usually is done late with gigs, I stay up so we can talk when he gets home. And this morning I actually slept in until 10 AM after going to bed at 3 AM. Seven hours! Versus waking up automatically at 7 AM. I'm not just waiting for a man to call, I'm getting work done. So it's productive. But it has changed the routine a bit. And it has made sure that I'm up getting work done much later than I would be normally. So it even extends my day.

So I've decided that I want to head to Portland to see my brother and his family. But I also want to go see the Time Based Arts Festival at the Portland Institute for Contemporary Art, which I've never been able to see. I've always missed it and it's in September. It's performing arts and visual arts, so I'm excited about that. And it's artists I normally wouldn't have the opportunity to go see unless I travelled to NYC. And I can connect with some of the theatre folks out there to discuss some future readings of my work. Since I've got family there and I used to live there, it would be nice to also have a bit of a creative home in Portland. I have two plays that the folks at Portland Center Stage have not been exposed to. So it would be awesome to send those out and see what they could do for me.

If I want to work as a playwright and be produced, I have to put the work into making that happen. And because I've been living a life where my nine to five is more important than my work, that hasn't happened. But now that I have some time, I'm determined to use it well. I've got a set amount of money that I'm being awarded for unemployment and the plan is to use every nickel towards making a full time living as a writer. Money is intention as much as thought is intention. Actually, spending money is the action that is guided by the intention. So as long as I put my intentions into action, I should be able to move forward.

And I've earned it. I've got the freedom, the vision and the resources to do this now. So it's time to make this time and money count.

No comments:

Post a Comment