Monday, December 6, 2010

Delayed Gratification

The new job is now starting some time in January. So until then, I'm at the old job, wrapping things up. Organizing. Putting things in boxes. Filing things away.

I think I've done this before recently.

Related?

To quote Kristy MacNichol from "The Pirate Movie": "So true...SO true!"

Truth be told, it's giving me time to properly make a transition. It's probably helping me rack up karma and brownie points. And it's providing these moments of memory set to the sounds of "The Way We Were".

Breakout the cheesecake. It's like a "Golden Girls" clip episode.

I've got to start the apartment search this week. Figuring out where I want to live and what I can afford. Most likely I'm going to do some sort of share situation so I can be a bit more flexible, both financially and in terms of my schedule. It's feeling okay, being loose and open to what comes my way. I'm not feeling settled and that actually feels right right now.

The whole process of staying with friends has hopefully been as burden free as possible. But for me, it's been a way to reconnect with friends and ask for help and guidance in ways that are usually super uncomfortable. And since I've been harboring someone else's secrets for a while, it's nice to be open with my life. That doesn't mean that all of a sudden I'm sharing his personal biz, but I don't have to hide anything about MYSELF any more.

Wait, that's NOT delayed gratification. What was the title of this blog post again? But I've come from a long period of continuing to delay my personal gratification. And delay it and delay it.

So while I'm waiting for my job to start (and while I still have a paycheck), I have the chance to set some good routines in motion. I still have those fitness goals I need to accomplish. And I've got a shiz load of writing to do. As always. Because I'm a writer and we like to talk about ALL the writing we have to do. It's a national pastime. And so cliched.

So I like to think of this transitional period as "training." Training for my life, which is not the same thing as lip-syncing for my life. But probably just as anxiety-producing.

What song should I "train for my life" to?

No comments:

Post a Comment