Monday, December 6, 2010

Man in the Mirror

My friends and I were at a party on Saturday night, a holiday party for a friend of ours. We pulled up when my friend saw a woman he recognized, who we'll call "Denise." And for the record, let's call my friend "Logan."

Ooh, aliases. Juicy.

So we go park and walk to the corner where Denise is. Another friend, "Judy" walks right up to us and tells us to turn around and walk in the other direction. We were confused.

Apparently, Judy walked into the middle of a situation with Denise and her boyfriend. There had been an argument upstairs at the party. The boyfriend was trying to force Denise in the car. He got jealous and flew into a rage.

So here we were in the middle of someone's abusive relationship. And I watched carefully as this woman, in tears, told everyone that she could handle herself and then she got into the car with the guy who was yelling at her in front of everyone and told Denise that he was going to kick our Logan's ass, even though they had never met.

I'm not painting a picture that my relationship ever came to that. But I watched someone think that she could handle it and ignore public embarrassment. And I watched her take it. With dignity and grace. But in a position that she should never have been put it. I saw her protecting this guy, who was clearly not being kind to her.

Sometimes the universe hands you a mirror and forces you to look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment