Thursday, December 9, 2010

Virtual Vision Board: Cities

In the Facebook conversation I just had with my friend from NYC, we talked about which cities were friendly. Mainly from the POV of which cities might be easier to date in or have the types of guys he likes.

As he knows, my choice for fave city is the one he lives in. But he's never been to SF or San Diego. I love San Francisco, but I can't help but expect it to be NYC and it just disappoints. Maybe it's because I'm a native Los Angeleno who has always romanticized NYC, even when I lived there. And the real reason I don't love SF is that I've never had any luck there. And this makes absolutely no sense because I'm half-Asian and it's a city with a big Asian population and therefore a big Rice Queen population. But I gets no love from SF.

San Diego is fun and cute but just not a lot going on for me. Although I love Del Mar because of that exact reason. It has nothing going on for me, but it's cute and beachy. And lots of hot young surfers about. All straight, but lots of eye candy.

And then we talked about Boston. Cute white guys with working class accents? Sign me up. It's the white version of a cholo or a thug. Loves it. I've never had a Bostonian. I think it might be time.

And that just lead to the thought of where I'd like to live. I've got this new job that's starting, but that's only for a short amount of time. If the show doesn't get picked up, will I pick up and leave?

At a theatre festival this year, I met a ton of guys from Chicago. And there's a great theatre scene there. Also, mid-westerners. But a lot of great restaurants. And there's the cold, of course. And the wind. But it's an area of the country I've never lived in.

When I was in college, I had this fantasy of living in every region of the country. I grew up on the West Coast. I lived in the Pacific Northwest after college. And then I moved to the East Coast. That still leaves the mid-west (Chicago) and the South. Would I move to Georgia? Atlanta? I loves me some NeNe Leakes, but would I want to be her neighbor? Does Austin count?

The great thing about this time in my life is that it leaves me open. And I can be a playwright anywhere. All of those places have some sort of theatre community. Maybe it's about making my life the most interesting and then the work will follow.

Am I done with LA? Is it done with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment